Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Help


The Help by Kathryn Stockett was discussed on NPR yesterday as I drove in to work. It's about the desegregation of America from a young caucasian girl's perspective as she talks to African-American maids. I had seen this book on the bestseller list and not thought much of it. It sounded an awful lot like the Secret Life of Bees. However, the NPR show made the book sound very thought-provoking. I'm looking forward to reading this novel now. Has anyone else read it yet?

1 comment:

  1. I recently read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a quick read, which always makes me happy, and the characters were some of the most honest and funny I have read in a while. Although I wasn't alive at the time to truly speak to it's accuracy, it did cover the perspectives of many different types of women during the time which showed how complicated and dangerous racism was/is.

    ReplyDelete